Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tightwad Tuesdays


Welcome to Tightwad Tuesdays where I will share a frugal tip with you each week. These are things that I, myself do on a regular basis. If you have any suggestions, I would love to post them and give you credit!

Tip:
Make your own vegetable stock and freeze. It is very easy and can be substituted for chicken stock in any recipe for pennies on your dollar.

What I do:

Whenever I have carrots and celery that are starting to go soft, I know it is time to make vegetable stock.
First, drizzle a couple tablespoons of olive oil into your stock pan and let it heat on low while you cut your veggies.

Cut up 1-2 onions, 2-3 carrots and 2-3 celery stalks. Cut into large chunks

Next, open and smash about 10 garlic cloves.

Add veggies to oil and turn up heat just a bit. Cook until they get brown.

Fill stock pot with water (this is for a 4 quart pot-increase veggies if you make a larger pot)

Add spices to taste (I use salt, pepper and thyme)

Bring to a boil and simmer at least an hour.

Let cool and strain, then freeze into containers.

I use my vacuum sealer (not the vacuum part-just the sealer) and freeze in 14 oz packages so that it is equal to a can of broth. Sometimes I also freeze some in muffin tins to give me a small amount to add to stir fry's.
So, I've just used onion and garlic because the carrots and celery were ready for the trash!

1 comment:

Teresa & Julie-Andi said...

Sounds easy enough! Thanks for the tip. I love making things from scratch. I'm still learning all the freezing techniques. :)